The Diaspora African Forum, the first and only diplomatic mission in the world dealing specifically with Diaspora issues, hosted some countries that have large Diaspora constituencies to brief them on the Year of Return as declared by H. E. Nana Addo Danquah Addo, President of the Republic of Ghana, and the commemoration of the four hundred (400) years of those taken away through slavery. The briefing included the potential involvement of diplomatic missions and the Diaspora in the Year of Return: A year-long commemoration and celebration of global African resilience.
The discussion was led by H. E. Dr Erieka Bennett, Head of Mission, Diaspora African Forum. She was supported by Ms Nadia Musah, the Deputy Director, Diaspora Relations Office – Office of the President, Mr Akwasi Agyeman, C.E.O of Ghana Tourism Authority and Ms Annabelle McKenzie, Manager, The Year of Return Secretariat.
H.E. Dr Erieka Bennett briefed all present on the Year of Return and its significance towards mobilizing people of African and Caribbean descent to return to the continent of Africa to facilitate its socioeconomic growth – which is a core mandate of the Diaspora African Forum (DAF).
The panel addressed questions and inquiries from the Diplomatic Call and also took note of some of their suggestions and inputs.
Members of the Diplomatic Corps Present in no particular order:
- H. E. Stephanie S. Sullivan – Ambassador, U.S. Embassy.
- H. E. Pedro Luis Despaigne – Ambassador, Cuba Embassy.
- H.E. Miguel A. Ramirez – Consul, Peru Embassy.
- H.E. Anne Sophie Ave – Ambassador, France Embassy.
- H.E. Tove Degnbol – Ambassador, Denmark Embassy.
- H.E. Maria Elisa T. De Luna – Ambassador, Brazil.
- H.E. Ron Strikker – Ambassador, Netherlands Embassy.
- H.E. Tom Hartley – Deputy High Commissioner, British High Commission
- H.E. Marcos Moreno – Deputy Head of Mission, Mexico Embassy.
Other Key people Present:
- Ms. Carolina Larrazabal – First Secretary, Colombia Embassy.
- Ms. Jasmine Griffiths – Head of Diaspora Relations, British High Commission.
- Mr. Paul Kwaw – Executive Director, W. E. B Du Bois Center for Pan African Culture.
The Diplomatic Roundtable Discussion ended with a brief networking session.
Stay connected with DAF on social media via,
Facebook: Diaspora African Forum.
Instagram: Diaspora African Forum (@diasporaafricanforum2)
Twitter: Diaspora African Forum (@forumdiaspora)
Diaspora African Forum – firstname.lastname@example.org